Prev: Re: USCMC Minis. Next: Re: USCMC Minis.

Smart Weapons - part II (longish)

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 00:23:01 -0400
Subject: Smart Weapons - part II (longish)

I've just been re-reading my smart wepons stuff, it does not come across
very clearly at all so I've been trying to revise it (plus update the
web
page).

Here is the latest version :

Smart Systems:

Smart systems integrated into squad support weaponsare rare on the
modern
infantry battle field. Although few armies use smart weapons routinely,
there is growing evidence that smart weapons are much more efectiver
than
there predecessor 'dumb' SAWs.
Smart sytems may be of any quality: Basic (D8), Enhanced (D10) or
Superior
(D12). If you into alien tech, hyper advanced (D20) could be used.
Targetting with a smart weapon:

Smart weapons may fire both in support of squad fire and as separate
actions.

Note a smart weapon can be used as EITHER a smart wepon OR a 'dumb'
weapon
("Man, I just luurve to hose that thang !", Marine PFC 'Rebop' Richards,
Smart Gunner, Ariadne IV). The player announces before the weapon is
fired
which mode he is using for targetting. If firing as a 'dumb' wepon use
FP
and Q vs. range as SG II.

Firing as a Smart Weapon:

1) Individual orders

The gunner uses thier quality die and a Smart system die versus the
target's ECM/counter measures die. If the Smart sys. roll is higher than
the target's ECM/counter measures roll then resolve as normal. If the
Smart
sys. roll is lower the targetting was ineffective and the weapon wil not
fire.

Example: A regular marine is firing at a bunch of bugs 32" away. The
marine
throws a D8 (quality) and a D10 (smart), the bugs would normally get a
D4
(no ECM/counter measures) but as they are 'invisible' by IR, I would
suggest a ECM/counter measures die of D6. So, Marine throws D8+D10, bugs
throw D6. Resolve as SG II.

2) Squad Support

Esentially two sets of dice are thrown simultaneously. The squad rolls Q
and FP as normal against the target's Range die, however, the Q die
result
is noted (I use either a different coloured die or I separate it
slightly).
Simultaneously, the gunner rolls the Smart sys. die against the target's
ECM/counter measures die. If the Smart sys. roll is higher than the
target's ECM/counter measures roll the outcome depends upon the
effectivness of the squad's fire. If the squad gained a major success
the
Smart sys. gains an additional major succes, total the result from the Q
die plus the result from the Smart sys. die, determine number of hits
using
the target's ECM/counter measures die type. All hits from both squad and
Smart gun are resolved together using the small arms I value. If the
squad
only gained a minor succes then the smart sys. gains a major success,
resolve as above. If the squad failed to beat the target's range die
then
the Smart sys. gains a minor success only (suppression). If the Smart
sys.
fails to beat the ECM/counter measures die the target lock fails so no
firing occurs.

Example: Them pesky bugs refused to die, they scuttled forwards 12" (now
20" range). The whole squad decides to shoot. Three regular marines fire
M41As while the gunner fires the M56. The marines roll a D8 and a D10
(three FP 3, a D10) vs. a D8 (range), the smart gunner rolls a D10 vs
D6.
The marines roll a 6 and a 3 respectively, the bugs roll a 4, bummer for
the marines, minor success only. The M56 rolled a 7 while the bugs
rolled a
5, as the marines gained a minor success the M56 fire is a major success
(if the marines had totally missed then this would be a minor success,
suppression). This fire is resolved as SG II: the Q result was 6 the
Smart
sys. was 7, total 13, target die D6, two hits, the extra roll succeds,
total two hits resolved as small arms Impact vs. bug armour.

OK so it takes longer to explain than it does to actually play !

Operator Quality

I think the quailty of the operator should have some influence on how
effectively the weapon fires. A  modifier can be used according to the
quality of the trooper.

Untrained: (how did they get a smart gun !) cannot target through
smoke/soft cover, shift target two ECM/counter measures die type up, can
only fire under individual orders
Green: cannot target through smoke, target one ECM/counter measures die
shift up, target two ECM/counter measures shifts up when firing combined
with squad
Regular: target one ECM/counter measures shift up to target through
smoke,
shift ECM/counter measures die down one when target in hard cover
Veteren: ignores smoke, shift ECM/counter measures die type two down
when
target in hard cover
Elite: as Veteren (heck, these troops are good enough !)

ECM/counter measures

Smart weapons aquire targets via a number of different techniques for
example IR, IFF transponder response, UV, and/or motion sensors/mass
detectors. The modern military has begun to recognise the importance of
smart weapon in infantry actions. Modern fatigues/military equipment has
degree of IR/sensor/IFF disruption woven into thier fabrics/built into
thier systems. This can be taken as basic ECM/counter measures (D6) for
technologically advance infantry troops. Civilian clothing/equipment or
obsolete military clothing/equipment found in technologically backwards
or
third world armies do not contain ECM/counter measures (D4). The only
troops which regularly use dedicated individual ECM/counter measures are
troops equiped with power armour as the suits are able to provide the
power
for Enhanced ECM/counter measures (D8), or Superior ECM/counter measures
(D10).

Troops in cover gain a degree of protection from smart weapons, shift
ECM/counter measures die up one for troops in soft cover, or two shifts
for
troops in hard cover. Troops in position do not gain any benefit.

EW Against 'Smart' Sytems

EW troopers cannot spoof smart systems across the table. The only
counter
measures possible are personal ECM/counter measures.

Comments/criticism or commendations (wow, you can tell I've been reading
James Ellroy, very 'Hush Hush' style alliteration there) welcome.

Stuart.

Stuart Murray

Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461

Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: Re: USCMC Minis. Next: Re: USCMC Minis.