Prev: My FT web page Next: SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures

Re: Just a thought (a little long)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:29:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Just a thought (a little long)

At 11:24 AM 8/31/97 +0100, Roger wrote:

>Tks for the insight, I had'nt realised the importance, tis a sad thing
>if this is a strong factor in people making choices.

It's human nature more than anything. It's a strong factor in choices,
but
it's mostly because people HAVE a choice. In the old days (mid 70s to
early
80s) all you had to do is print up a cheap manual with bad layout and
grammar and people would eat it up. Today this is no longer the case.

There's something else I didn't mention. When a supplement comes out
there
is usually a review of it in the magazines, in the net zines, on the
newsgroups, etc. You just don't find people constantly "reviewing" an
existing game unless someone asks. The only time a game gets constant
magazine exposure is if people write articles and scenarios for it, or
if
the magazine is a house organ for the publisher. Go into a newsgroup and
you'll often find "What's Stargrunt 2 like?" type posts. The answers
will
review the game, but if you don't happen to see this post and/or thread,
you
have no idea. You might see the game in the store and not have any idea
of
whether or not it's a good buy. If someone doesn't have net access, they
are
stuck with magazine reviews and the opinions of people in the store. A
new
supplement results in a review that gives the game more exposure.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: My FT web page Next: SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures