Prev: Re: Oceanic Union page updated Next: Re: Just a thought (a little long)

Re: Just a thought (a little long)

From: "Jeremy Sadler" <sadlerj@z...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:10:03 -0400
Subject: Re: Just a thought (a little long)

> My feeling is that this won't work unless it's done ENTIRELY for free
by
the
> group and Jon blesses it from the get go. I think a better idea is to
> produce a zine (paper zine, web zine, e-zine, what have you) with
ideas
for
> FT, SG2, and DS2. These would be unofficial ideas, but it would get
them
> into the public domain and open them up for scrutiny. If a rule gains
> universal acceptance, and Jon likes it, Jon can always bless it as
> "official" after the fact.

If I remember correctly - and feel free to correct _me_ on this - Jon
is/was open to suggestions from players, which could be sent to him and,
if
he though it good and it got put into a supplement, the person got a
credit
listing.

Therefore, as long as that it made clear to possible submitters to any
'zine of this kind that the above is the way things are, everything
should
work out hunky dory.  Jon could say "Well, I just wont look at it" (ala
JMS
and B5 fiction) but hey, I wouldn't want to limit the chances of the
maker
of FT, SG and DS not picking up something I've written... :)

>Second, someone would STILL have to edit the thing. Not just
proofreading
>and layout but ACTUAL EDITING for content. Someone would have to say,
"sorry
>your idea is not good enough." Worse, someone would have to say, "your
idea
>is great, but there's no room for it." I have friends that edited an
>anthology of Canadian SF (Tesseracts 3, for those who are interested)
and
it
>is NOT an easy thing to do. It's hard, long work.

You said it. :)
---
Jeremy M. Sadler
sadlerj@ocean.com.au
Designer/Sub-Editor
Frontier: The Australian Science Fiction Media Magazine

Prev: Re: Oceanic Union page updated Next: Re: Just a thought (a little long)