Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Where we're going from here...[LONG RAMBLE!!] Next: Re: Just a thought (a little long)

Just a thought (a little long)

From: Kevin Pavlick <PAVLICK@x...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:18:36 -0400
Subject: Just a thought (a little long)

Having been vocal on more than one occasion about the expansion of DS
and SG (primarily), I've been compelled to throw out a few ideas.

I completely understand the limitations that Jon has when it comes to
creating new products, being a 2-man operation and all.  But I've
seen nothing but outstanding support by the players themselves that
might warrant what I have to say.  There was a thread that dealt with
"hiring" an outside writer to produce some supplements.  My
proposition is this:  why can't WE, the players, and some very
trustworthy soul, put together a supplement package for DS/SG for
submittal and approval to Jon himself.	This would take all the
pressure and expense out of it, and would only need to be
read/edited/approved for mass consumption.

I have been a Battletech player for MANY years (lost count actually)
and have created my share of "house" rules (who hasn't).  But the
problem with rules like that are the acceptance of outside players,
and the ONE thing that house rules lack are official approval.	If
you created a rule that allowed UNIT A to do something to UNIT B,
many people would say that it's silly, or not in the "real" rules.
But if tomorrow the 2nd Edition rules came out with that rule
covered, everybody wouldn't think anything of it (within reason of
course).  I have had my share of house rules show up almost exactly
the way I used them in the new "Maximum Tech" expansion for BT.  Now
countless thousands are using what I deemed appropriate for my
friends and I, and others scoffed at!  The editorial even says that
alot of those rules had come from players like me, that where just
cleaned up and applied appropriately.

I guess my point is, we all have great ideas penned up inside our
wargame minds that could very well be the next edition to the above
games.	Why can't we come up a legitimate package of
rules/supplements that would enhance our games, thus giving back what
we are ALL getting out of the hobby.  I myself would love to see some
of my house rules for all the games I play, published.	And it isn't
until a great rule/scenario is published, does it get the acceptance
of everybody.

Let me know what you all think, especially Jon.  Thanks for your
time.

-Kevin

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Where we're going from here...[LONG RAMBLE!!] Next: Re: Just a thought (a little long)