Prev: Re: Starship Troopers & Armour Next: Re: GZG Online Catalogue

Re: Stargrunt forces

From: TEHughes@a...
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:15:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Stargrunt forces

<< Having played very little Stargrunt thus far, I have one minor
 problem with setting up games.  As Stargrunt does not have point
 values for vehicles and squads, what is the best way to create even
 yet diversified forces?

 I've tried to create forces very differently from each other, as I
 think this is most fun, but how should I compare offensive/defensive
 output?  Or should I?

 I want to try and stay away from the points system, but I don't have
 a better system.

 -Kevin

 P.S. There is nothing worse then a player whining about his "weak"
 force composition. >>

While a point system is "nice," infantry battles are the most difficult
balance. Unlike armor battles terrain effects are much more significant.
Advancing across hostile (read open) terrain, speed of advance (read
rough
ground) on foot (as opposed to tracked speeds.) Add in the limited
weapon
size & quantity (versus armor, entrenchments, and buildings. Advancing
troops
also have the difficulty of limited ranged weapons ( versus heavy
weapons,
vehicle weapons, and artillery (or aircraft.)  Balance in infantry
scenerios
are more of an "art" than a science.

In view of all the negative statements listed above, I like to set-up
"real"
situations where both sides have different objectives allowing for
win-win as
well as lose-lose endings. Recon missions where the objective is for the
recon team to grab a prisonor and get away from the opposing unit. The
opposing unit must kill more than it has killed. [ A standard military
mission.]  As matter of fact I steal most scenerios from real events,
that
way if anyone complains I tell them "what really happened."

I donno if this helps, but this is what I do.

Tom Hughes

"Everything is relative" - Einstein

Prev: Re: Starship Troopers & Armour Next: Re: GZG Online Catalogue