Prev: Re: Computer System Survey Next: DS Universe question

Application Implementation Holy Wars

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 08:57:13 -0400
Subject: Application Implementation Holy Wars

On Friday, August 15, 1997 1:08 PM, Joachim Heck - SunSoft
[SMTP:jheck@East.Sun.COM] wrote:
>>   As for VB, I have two problems with it.  One it's cross-platform,
> and two it's BASIC, for cryin' out loud!!!  When I first heard about
> it I remember thinking, "cool, someone's come up with a simple
> language that allows you to graphically construct applications.
> Because it's so simple and easy to learn, they used the name
> 'Basic'".  Then I looked at it and found out that it was just BASIC.
> That may have been the first time I realized how horrible Microsoft
> truly is.  They could at least have done Visual Pascal or Visual
> Scheme or SOMETHING BUT PLEASE GOD NOT BASIC!
>
> -joachim

All true but its used nearly everywhere and integrates well with
all the MS products which are nearly everywhere. With the great apple
survival sellout MS Office and VB will be appearing there soon.

That just leaves unix as the only platform to worry about and most of us

don't have unix machines at home its mostly PC's and Mac's. Given the
requests for ftmap for win32 I'd implement it in VB and be dammed. The
only
problem with VB is the ludicrously large runtime DLL you have to release
with
it.

Java maybe, both it and VB look good on a CV these days.
--

Back onto the topic, I must admit I'm a fan of freeware and I currently
thinking about a ship SSD drawing program in C that will read a GZF file

An architecture I consider is to use one of the java ship design
programs to
write out a standard file then use the C program to render it as a SSD
GIF.
Then use any of the shareware paint packages to print it.

Its not an integrated product but it would get the job done and probably
run
on any platform with a C compiler. Why use a C program, lots of code
already
written to manipulate GIF files (from ftmap and gd1.2), and its pretty
portable.

sincerely
tim jones
--
I like green eggs and ham

Prev: Re: Computer System Survey Next: DS Universe question