Prev: Re: Off topic Rugby thing. Next: Flank Speed sources

Re: Variations for the young

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:34:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Variations for the young

>"  Pre-writting orders doesn't work. Measuring stuff
>	 is not so clean so I've been using hex grids ( I know
>	 everyone here hates that for miniatures, but it is
>	 'simple'!)."
>
>Adrian,
>
>	 My brother and I playtested FT with his wife who has no clue
when
>it comes to wagames. We wrote our moves and then let her tell us what
she
>wanted to move. That could also work with younger kids. Ended up she
>destroyed us both in a three way free for all.
>
>						 Rodrick

This seems an ideal and efficient solution for games where (for any
reason,
even including disabilities or problems like dyslexia) one player finds
written orders difficult or confusing. Provided the opponent is happy
with
the usual order writing, he writes his orders as normal, the non-writing
player then simply moves his ships (in accordance with all the usual
rules
and move limitations, of course) and then the written-order player makes
his moves as plotted. This should result in exactly the same situation
as
the normal all-written system when using just basic rules; I can see a
few
loopholes such as fighter movement, but you could simply allow both
players
to move fighters freely after all ships are moved.

If anyone tries this out, please let us know how it works out in
practice.
It could also be a good method of teaching very new players the basic
systems, especially non-gamers as mentioned above.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Off topic Rugby thing. Next: Flank Speed sources