Prev: Anti-Tank Guns Next: RE: damn super dreadnoughts

Re: Missile Command

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 18:47:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Missile Command

Excerpts from FT: 5-Aug-97 Missile Command by alun.thomas@cbis.com
> Brendan.ROBERTSON @ EMPLOYMENT.GOV.AU wrote:
> > Just to start a thread, what's the best way to deal with large
missile
> > salvo's (besides FTL before they arrive).
> Basically there are two way of dealing with this:
>
> 1) Shoot them down before they hit you.
>
> Tricky.
<snip>

Yeah.  On the subject of house rules, I like the idea of giving an ADAF
a better chance to hit missiles... makes 'em worth taking.  Even just a
5 or 6 to hit would help, or you could allow ADAFs to hit on a 4+, PDAFs
to hit on a 5+, and C-batts to hit on a 6+.

> Nova Cannon's and Wave Guns could be far more effective, but not
> without drawbacks.

Drawbacks like, I don't think he can use 'em.  I'm betting that Brendan
is asking about this in reference to some of the missile-heavy fleets
taken in the first Empress' tourny; cutting them down to "just" 18
missiles doesn't seem like much help.

Anyway, House Tuffley greets House Hanson. ^_^

> 2) Move out of the way.
>
> Difficult for bases, but ships have a chance. This should also
included
> FTL and cloaking.

Ditto the above wrt cloaks and FTL.  Anyway, as others have pointed out,
your best option is speed, and control.  PBEM games give you an added
advantage in that you can plot moves out in advance, which means you can
cover a lot more possibilities.  (Ie, it's not that hard to plot out six
different moves for one ship, and see which one gets you into the best
position....)

Later,

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Anti-Tank Guns Next: RE: damn super dreadnoughts