Prev: Re: Counters you may find useful.. Next: SG2 questions

Re: Rotational Gravity (was OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Comments))

From: "Barton T. Anderson" <anderson@p...>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:12:58 -0400
Subject: Re: Rotational Gravity (was OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Comments))

I did a calc back in college (mechanics of materials, I think - just for
fun) and the thrust required to turn a rotating spaceship isn't really
all
THAT bad, assuming materials that will take the strain... But there's an
easier way.  Two counter-rotating sections on the same frame, such that
the
net angular momentum of the system is 0.  Thrust away.

Of course, in The Mote in God's Eye, etc. the ships don't actually
rotate
while under thrust, just when in orbit.  Most of my larger ship designs,
however, do rotate while under thrust, and the mechanics of coordinating
rotational "gravity" and thrust "gravity" can get interesting.

Bart Anderson
anderson@pahrump.com
http://www2.pahrump.com/~users/anderson/

> From: Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@earthlink.net>
> To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Comments)
> Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 2:36 PM

<SNIP>

> I do believe you're right! I've never thought about it, but after
watching
> Bill Nye the Science Geek explaining angular momentum, and if you push
on