Prev: Re: Ship Prefix's Next: B5Wars shelf date August 8!!

Re: Ship Prefix's

From: Alan E Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 02:33:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Ship Prefix's

> Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
>
> >   From my (limited but still it was my first language) knowledge of
> > German, I would guess that the term "Panzerkampfwagen" is used only
by
> > American devotees of German military history.
>
> Liebe Joachim, es tut mir leidt, aber...
 [Dear Joachim, I'm sorry but...]

Panzerkampfwagen == Armour Fight Vehicle or Armoured Fighting Vehicle.
AFV is the usual acronym. And although Panzer is used nearly
universally( as Tank is, when most people mean MBT or Main Battle Tank),
there are occasions when the full name is used. Usually when giving
technical
specifications.

One that sticks in my mind - and for that matter, in my mouth, is
 "Schwerpanzerfluegzeugabwehrkannonerichtunggereat", which is the
 apparatus on the Gepard Anti-Aircraft Tank - er - AFV :)
 [Literally, Heavy Armoured Aircraft-Countering Gun Direction Apparatus]

Until recently I used to work for STN-Atlas Elektronik GmbH of Bremen,
 Germany.

> > PS also, it was still funny, but they knew he didn't mean to call
> > himself a jelly doughnut.

 As in "Ich bin ein Berliner."
 Ja, und du bist ein Viktoria, natuerlich...

 [I am a Jam Doughnut.
 Yes, and thou art a Cinammon doughnut, naturally...]

100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture

Prev: Re: Ship Prefix's Next: B5Wars shelf date August 8!!