Prev: AI Related Article Next: Re: Turned Tables...... (Fiction, long) Part 2!!

RE: DSII: VTOL Damage, Arty Direct Fire, Terrain's affect on GMS

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:24:37 -0400
Subject: RE: DSII: VTOL Damage, Arty Direct Fire, Terrain's affect on GMS

>From Nils
> 2) Does have anyone practical experience with modern artillery? A
> friend & I have been engaged in an on going argument about whether or
> not to allow direct artillery fire.  He keeps quoting that it was
> quite common in WWII.  It keep rebutting that the much longer ranges
> in today's artillery should allow it to avoid being overrun, unless
> something is seriously wrong.  Does modern artillery still perform
> direct fire missions (depress the gun & use the Mark I eyeball for
> aiming)?  In particular, would this be an option if the artillery is
> threatened by enemy troops?

Yes, modern artillery still have the capability to fire over open
sights, and of course if the Section/Battery Comd can see teh target he
can call the fire adjustments. A practical example more recent than WWII
was Vietnam, during the battle for Fire Base Coral/Balmoral when the
Australian artillery were forced to fire direct at NVA assault
positions.

Owen Glover

Prev: AI Related Article Next: Re: Turned Tables...... (Fiction, long) Part 2!!