Prev: FT/DS Automation Next: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

Re: Off topic-KryoMek

From: kx.henderson@q... (Kelvin)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:46:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Off topic-KryoMek

>>Has anyone played KryoMek? Are the rules any good. Someone told me
they
>>were based on the original SG1 rules. Do the KryoMek rules include
Powered
>>Armored troops? Are the only "bad guys" the bugs? Has anyone seen the
>>miniature terrain for KryoMek (the corridors and rooms and stuff)? How
are
>>the Marine miniatures (I've seen the bugs)?
>>

>The Kryomek rules are quite good but have some limitations.  It is
>essentially a skirmish wargame.  try looking for Andy Cowell's (sorry
if I
>spelt it wrong Andy) web page he has some conversions for KM to SG II
(a
>much better wargame).

While SGII is THE best skirmish game on the market, Kryomek still is a
fantastic game.  The balance between the Humans and the Bugs is
great.The
Humans kick the bugs arses at long range, but once they are close the
Humans
die in droves.	And for a change, the points system that is listed in
the
new Kryomek: Hivestone is possibly the most balanced I've ever seen.  It
makes quite a bit of sense, but can be a little inflexible at times.
Love
the game.

>In my opinion the KM universe offers the most potential of any
background
>for Sci-Fi wargaming, IMO if you only buy the book for the background
it
>will have been money well spent.  The background material is well
thought
>out and rich in detail.  There are no 'good' or 'bad' guys, each side
has
>pros and cons.

There are three armies BTW.  BASICALLY there are Humans and Kryomek, but
within the humans there are the Corps, the Nexus and the Rebels.

>The miniatures are very mixed.  The Nexus SWATs are excellent (troops
in
>light PA) while the first Nexus marines suck, the new Colonial marines
are
>good but they suffer from the GW disease of increasing size, the Talos
>units are the best combat droids on the market, the striders are (at
the
>risk of repetition) also very good, while the nexus vehicles are very
much
>on the small side.  If you can get them Grendel make an excellent APC
for
>Kryomek (the Scarab ATAC), or try a Toys are Us and get a couple of
Aliens
>Colonial Marine APCs (Gallob Action Fleet range).

I have to dissagree here.  I personally think that the Nexus SWAT suck.
They look stupid.  The Marines aren't anything to shout about, but they
aren't as bad as you think.  They look pretty realistic IMHO.  The
Cyclos
are superb, as are the Talos and Helcat units (I have bucket loads of
all
theM), the Striders are great too while the vehicles, like the SWATs,
suck.
I only wish that Galoob would market those Aliens APC's over here in Oz
<sigh>.  For Kryomek Powered Armour, I will be using NSL as I am hoping
its
bulky enough.  Oh yeah, it looks cool too.

>The Kryomek themseleves are superb, they look great and the detail on
the
>figures is excellent.	The Warmasters and Warriors are fine but the
only
>problem I have is that the heloin are a little expensive to have true
>swarms.

Yeah, what he said.

>The final scenry, the outdoor biuldings, is very good, the biuyldings
are
>all 'front line' types, low profile bunkers ranging from command
bunkers to
>flak bunkers, missile silos and automated sentry towers.  For the money
>these buildings are very good value, they ar sized well and fit with a
>variety of figure ranges (I use mide with figs ranging from GZG 25mm to
EE
>30 mm).

Love the Kryomek buildings.  Gotta save some money to get some.  I want
BIG complex (they can be linked by corridors that can be purchased).

On the whole the Kryomek range is pretty great.  I own quite a lot of it
and
I use it in a lot of other systems too.  Useful stuff.

-Kelvin.....

	    "But, that is a lie."
	 "Yes.	What's your point?"
       -Bester and Sinclair, Babylon 5
       email:  kx.henderson@qut.edu.au

Prev: FT/DS Automation Next: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)