Prev: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...) Next: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

Re: [FT] Missile & Fighter Reloads

From: campbelr@p...
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 17:30:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Missile & Fighter Reloads

 "John M. Huber" <jhuber@omnifest.uwm.edu> said;

> The way I read the More Thrust rules now once you fire your missile it
is
> gone.  If you have one missile or 20 you can fire them whenever you
want to
> ... one each turn or all at once.  This doesn't seem "right".

Hmmm, well modern ships have "launchers" connected to magazines with
more missles, so this would be accuarate. But, "Technically" there's
no reason why they have to launch only a few at a time. A missle sub
could theoreticaly salvo all it's missles at once, and the Navy was
pushing the "Metcalf" modular missle cruiser for awhile, which was to
be capable of not only salvoing it's land/sea attack missles at once,
but would also be able to launch against air targets as well. Course
once you fired you'd pretty much shot your bolt and if you didn't
destroy the enemy in one, you were in big trouble.
In FT,I got the idea that space to space missles were so big they
were almost small ships in themselves. Probably at almost as big as a
small fighter. Course this could lead to such neat inovations as I
remember for the H. Beam Piper books. (Missles big enough to carry
their own couunter missles and defenses)
Randy