Prev: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...) Next: Re: AIs and such...

Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

From: Michael Brown <102156.2721@C...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 23:51:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

1) Do you REALLY care about the FT background? Are you really interested
in
what happens to the ESU, NAC, etc. or is it just an excuse for a battle
and
nothing more?
	Not really, though having some general idea of the "flavor" of
each fleet
would be nice.

2) Did you read the FT background stuff or did you ignore it?
	I read it (but with a couple grains of salt :) )

3) Do you use another background for your games (like Star Trek, Star
Wars,
B5, homegrown)?

	First generation Traveller (Trillion Credit Squadron, Fifith
Frontier
War, etc)

4) Would you like to see the FT background enhanced, with a more
detailed
timeline, in future supplements? If so, how many pages out of a typical
sized rulebook would you be willing to give up to the background?

	See #1

5) Would you like to see some FT fiction?

	Or maybe fiction that translates into FT well. Transcripts of
After
Action Reports, that could be "re-played" in FT.

6) How "accurate" a background do you want? "I want a hard science
background taking into effect things like AI development, genetic
engineering, relativity, etc." or ""Star Wars was accurate enough for
me."

	See #3

7) Regardless of number 6, do you want to see guys in fighters, escorts
and
fleet ships? "Don't bother too much about AI, it's men versus men or men
versus bugs that interest me."

	In the end it is being vs being. I see AIs as making the being's
job
easier, not replacing the being.

8) "Stop with the stupid science posts, already! This is just a game!"

	The science tends to show how well FT holds together (more so
than most)

Michael Brown

ps. check out my scenario generator at www.enable.com/michael.htm

Prev: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...) Next: Re: AIs and such...