Prev: Re: AIs are not human! (was Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)) Next: Re: Counters wanted

Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks

From: campbelr@p...
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:35:07 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks

Hmmm, sorry  folks I missed that question. Ahem; (entering "talking
about job to the civies mode" :)
The answer is, it depends. Current air to air missles are solid
fueled but are usualy a bit "over fueled" for thier  stated ranges.
The AIM9 Sidwinder is a "short range" missle, it's "attack envolope"
is @ 9 miles. It's fuel can last longer than that, but I can't give
you exact figures. The AIM 7 Sparrow is rated at medium range @50
miles. All at supersonic (Mach 4+) speeds. The Phonix missle is rated
at @ 124 miles, but is a bit slower, (@Mach 3 or so). The solid
rockets burn at full thrust from just after launch to burn out,
contro is by areodynamic surfaces. These things can turn on a cime as
it were, usually in thier own length. The only thing they have to
worry about in radicaal manuvering is how well they are put together,
and thier seeker cone, or how much of the sky they can see with the
seeker head. Most have an angle of 95-180 deg.	This is why the best
tactic for pilots is to turn into the missle fireing countermeasure.
Hopefully you can fly out of it's seeker aspect before it can
manuver, or possiible make the countermeasures more enticing.
(Fat chance, but you do what you can.)
As for running out of fuel, yes they can and do. If they miss, most
have a self destruct charge at the end of the motor burn to destroy
the missle. But there are some, like the Harpoon I belive, and The
Tacit Rainbow, which are powerd by small turbo-jets, very fule
efficiant which gives them incrediable range.
(I don't work  with either so I'm going by what I remember from
Janes)
As for missles in FT, I think they could easly run out of fule after
so long. They are after all trying to hit a moviing and EVADING
target. Unless the range is point blank, in relative terms, your
target iis not going to sit there and let himself be hit. The engine
used for "course corrections" would have to be as powerful as the
main propullsion motor as you are not just "turning" as atmoshperic
missles do using wings,  your changing vectors, whiich usually means
a lot of honking  thrust. And you have to do it fast to keep the
target in "sight"  of the seeker too.
Of course I don't see why you  can't shoot "over the shoulder"
either, as even missles today  are becoming sophisticated enough  to
be programed to not begin a lock on till they are scanning a certaiin
part  of the sky.
Any other Munitions Questions? (Without violating security? :)
Randy

Prev: Re: AIs are not human! (was Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)) Next: Re: Counters wanted