Prev: Re: Honor Harrington Question? Next: The Posties Back and progs.

Re: Wave, Nova, j-torps ... uberweapon imbalance?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 05:54:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Wave, Nova, j-torps ... uberweapon imbalance?

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, John M. Huber wrote:

> Okay,  uberweapons like WaveGuns seem neat.  However, have you ever
had a well
> balanced, nasty-designed, fearsome force to be reconned with, fleet
... set it
> up ... and someone Waves, Novas or puts you between a pair of j-torps?
>
> Big nasty weapons seem to take-away the feeling of fleet manuevering,
missile
> chasing and the like.  Its no longer mano-a-mano, ship-to-ship, but
just a big
> energy flush that washes away anything in its path.

Can't say about j-torps; I haven't had time to try them much...

But as for Nova Cannon and Wave Guns, it all depends on the table size
you
have. If your enemy has enough ships to cover the entire table width
with
Nova rounds, you're probably in trouble and he doesn't need to maneuver)

- but if he has only a few, or if he uses Waveguns, he'll have to
maneuver to achieve a hit.

As the older hands on the list have heard far too many times before, I
measure in cm instead of inches, and have scaled down the NC and WG
templates accordingly. Try to plan your movement so your ship points
directly towards another ship 10-20 cm away (because if it doens't point
directly towards the target your initial 2-cm diameter template won't
hit
a thing!). It isn't easy, I assure you. Especially since you don't have
any shields to protect you if - when! - you miss...

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Honor Harrington Question? Next: The Posties Back and progs.