Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5) Next: Re: DS2: Combat Walker movement rates

Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 14:51:40 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Gerald McVicker wrote:

> I've got a real problem with this missile thing in FT.   You guys talk
as
> if the missile would "run out of fuel" during its flight.  What if the
ship
> that launched the missile imparts its velocity?

It should do (and does, if you use the Newtonian movement rules on
The Page or elsewhere). However, unless the missiles uses some sort
of main engines - and quite powerful at that - it won't hit very
well, because its trajectory will be very easy to predict - and a
target ship will be able to move out of the way, unless the missile
launcher is _very_ powerful and throws the missile at speeds similar
to railgun slugs. Unless I misunderstood you entirely, your
suggestion is roughly equivalent to trying to hit a jet fighter with
a guided bomb instead of with an air-to-air missile.

What do you military guys say - can an air-to-air missile run out of
fuel? How radical maneuvers is it capable of?

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5) Next: Re: DS2: Combat Walker movement rates