Prev: Re: AIs are not human! (was Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT

From: "Chris McCurry" <CMCCURR@v...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 11:12:30 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT

>Why send another human into battle and have them fight for you?
>That'ss amount to slavery of sentient beings.

This is a good point and something that will have to be looked at when
that
times comes...

If a computer becomes conscious  then it becomes a "living machine".

It would be self aware, it could come up with a way to reproduce (build
other computers), it could theoriticaly grow (adding on to it's
self)..ect..

If we as humans commanded these computers as we do today... it would be
"slavery" in a sense... untill the time when the computers revlot
against
us to have thier own freedoms... (which might be sooner than we think
due
to the history that we have of such stuff  /  they would just look it
up.)

This would not happen if 1) The computer is programed not to think such
thoughts (in which case they would not be			  truly
independed thinkers and not ture AI

		     2) Or the computer is completely faithful and loyal
it's creator or the race which created			     it.

		     3) Or (again) it was never asked to do things that
it
would think were questionlable (WAR).

I'm all for AI and the possiblities it brings.. but there is a lot of
thinkning that the human race has to do be fore they start playing god,
Mr
bigbang, or monkeyman  what ever you believe...
But if it is handled correctly I believe that AI could benifit humankind
greatly.

CMC

Prev: Re: AIs are not human! (was Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)