Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI's in full thrust

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:31:01 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

In message <33CAEF16.7677@dynamite.com.au>
	  Alan Brain <aebrain@dynamite.com.au> wrote:

> > Escort ships either being
> > automated or controlled by Cap ships would have problems too.  Does
that
> > automated escort recognize our damaged carrier as one of ours, or
one of
> > theirs.
>
> That's fairly trivial, even now.

That reminds me of a story (not sure how true it is) we
got told in our computer vision lectures. An old vision
recognition system was taught to tell the difference
between NATO and Russian tanks. It was trained by being
shown pictures of both sorts of tanks, and after a while
it did *very* well.

So well, that someone got suspicious. It seems no-one had
noticed that the pictures of the NATO tanks had all been
taken on a bright sunny day, and those of the Russian tanks
had been taken on a dark, overcast day. The computer was
merely recognising the weather.

The morale of this story? Be damn careful when programming
the computer with what a target looks like... :)

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI's in full thrust