Prev: Re: FT Bibliography Next: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5)

Star Grunts II Squad Generation Point system [Long]

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:10:52 -0400
Subject: Star Grunts II Squad Generation Point system [Long]

Hello,
	In my quest to generate a campeign system that spans Full
Thrust, Dirtside
and StarGrunts, I have borrowed from Steve Gibson's point system and
come
up with the following point system.
	The goal was to enable players to have a quick reference to
throw one of
games together or generate campeigns that flow through the three game
systems.  Previous analysis determined 1 Full Thrust Point was equal to
about 60 Dirtside Points.  The result is a system that should enable
players to generate equal forces on the battlefield.  However, Jon is
quite
right in that when you combine factors such as morale, playing field,
role
(attacker, defender, etc) this chart is not fool proof.  It is supposed
be a general guide to help people put games together.

	Each of the Values below are for a single man, to generate the
point cost
you will have to multiply the cost by the number of men in the team and
then add the heavy weapons, etc.  For squads with a heavy weapon
element,
generate the two team seperately, say five Soldiers in the rifle team
and
three Soldiers with SMGs plus the SAW in the heavy weapon team.
	Once all the men have been equipped from tables 1 thru 4.  Add
them up and
multiply them by table 5.
	The lists also show how to translate the squads up to Dirtside
II and back
as well.

Table 1 Armor

Armor Type	SG:Die Type	DS:Hits to Kill*	Cost per Man
Basic		D4			2		0.5
Partial LT	D6			3		1.0
Full LT 	D8			4		2.0
Light Power	D10			5		4
HVY Power	D12			6		6

	*   Hits to kill a 5 man team.	For example a three man HVY
Weapons team
with Full LT armor 3*4/5=12/5=2.4 Three hits.  A four man attack squad
in
HVY Power 4*6/5=24/5=5

Table 2: Movement
Movement	SG		DS			Cost per Man
Foot		6"		2"			0.0
Scout		8"		4"			1.0
Calvery/Power	12"		6"			2.0
Motorized	15"		8"			3.0
Jump jet	15"		8"			4.0
Skimmer 	15"		8"			5.0

Table 3: Weapons
Weapon			Range	Firepower	Impact	Cost per Man
Lt Auto Pistol		CC	1		D6	0
Hvy Auto Pistol 	CC	1		D10	0.25
SMG			CC	3		D8	0.5
Shotgun 		CC	3		D8	1.0
Hunting Rifle			1		D10	0.75
Lt Assault Rifle		2		D8	0.75
Lt Assault Rifle w/GL		3		D8	1.0
Advanced Combat Rifle		2		D10	1.0
ACR w/GL			3		D10	1.5
Gauss Rifle			2		D12	2.0
Gauss Rifle w/ GL		3		D12	2.5

Squad Assault Rifle		D8		D10	4.0
Gatling SAW			D10		D10	5.0
Gauss SAW			D10		D12	6.0
Infantry Plasma Rifle		D6		D12	7.0
Automatic Grenade Launcher	D12		D8	4.0
Multiple Launch Pack		D8		D8	6.0
IAVR				D10		D12	1.0 per shot

Table 3.5
Effect of these weapons on DSII:
Weapon/Cost	Range/Damage chits
		Close		Medium		Long		Infantry
Plasma		2"		4"		6"
Cost: 8 	All		Red		Yellow		Yellow
(draw 3)

Auto GL 	4"		6"		8"
Cost: 3 	1/2 Red/Yellow	Yellow		1/2 Green	Yellow
(draw 3)

MLP		6"		12"		18"
Cost: 6 	1/2 Red&Yellow	1/2 Red&Yellow	1/2 Red&Yellow	1/2
Yellow(D3)

IAVR				4"
Cost:3				Red&Yellow Draw 2

Table 4:  Close Assault Weapons
Weapon		Close Assault Die Shift 	Cost per Man
Pistol/SMG		+1			Pay from Table 3
Sword/Axe		+1			0.25
Shotgun 		+2			Pay from Table 3
Flamer			+2			0.5
Power Sword/Hull Cutter +3			1.0
Light Saber		+4			2.0

Table 5:  Troop Quality Multiple
Troop Type	Quality Die	Dirtside Multiple	StarGrunt
Multiple
Elite		D12		1.5			2.0
Vetran		D10		1.35			1.7
Regular 	D8		1.20			1.4
Green		D6		1.0			1.0
Untrained	D4		0.75			0.6

	The reason for the two multiples is the effect of the quality
die in the
two games.  In SG the QD is very significant as it affects range, fire
effectiveness, morale, comms etc.  However in DSII the QD is not so
extreme.

	Please comment on this.  I intend to use it for a campeign and
want to
find the bugs before it gets going.
	Thanks,
		Phil P.

Prev: Re: FT Bibliography Next: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5)