Prev: Off Topic Re:AI's in full thrust Next: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs

Re: FTL capable fighters (B5)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 07:45:24 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5)

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Donald Hosford wrote:

> What if the gates are "anchored" in place?  Remember the episode in
the
> first or second season where the exploration ship got lost?  Maybe if
> the  gates moved, it would make navigation more difficult.  Maybe that
> distant gate was close to the planet when built, but the planet has
> continued to move.

There doesn't seem to be many landmarks in B5 hyperspace (none that
I've seen, at least); so when a ship loses contact with the
navigational beacons there isn't anything to tell it where to look
for the gates. If the ship is also unable to open its own jump gates,
it is locked in hyperspace... not a very nice thing when your
supplies run out. In the episode you mention, an internal explosion
destroyed the jump gate generator; I'm not sure if it also caused the
ship to lose contact with the beacons, but since it was an
explorer it may well have strayed away on purpose. It had equipment
and materials to build new jump gates, but appearently they didn't
have time enough to use those things to repair their own.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Off Topic Re:AI's in full thrust Next: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs