Prev: Re: I lost a... Next: Fortress America Miniatures

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: tmcarth@f... (Tom McCarthy)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 19:24:45 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

We're noting Niven's fiction in this discussion, and now Allan has
suggested
an AI which had as an unquestionable basis the protection of a certain
group
of humans.  What about Niven's Pak protectors ?  Biologically driven to
protect a genetic lineage by eliminating their competitors, protectors
rendered huge areas inhospitable or uninhabitable in their drive to
eliminate competition, while not keeping an eye out to preserve the
resources being fought over.

Is that a danger with AIs ?  Will we interact with them so little that
we
fail to teach them something as fundamental as capturing the objective
whole
instead of just capturing the objective ?  Mightn't they leapfrog past
us to
do efficient things we wouldn't do, like torpedoing hospital ships or
destroying enemy civilian/manufacturing centres.  We might give them the

firepower to raze huge and rare tracts of mabitable land.

Is this a potential problem ?

Tom
Tom + Dana McCarthy

Prev: Re: I lost a... Next: Fortress America Miniatures