Prev: Re: DSII: Firer Down Question Next: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs

Re: Armor

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:35:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Armor

On Mon, Jul 14, 1997 at 7:19:23 PM, tmcarth@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Tom
McCarthy)
wrote:

> I'd never even heard of Armor (John Steakley, IIRC) but it showed up
in
> my bookstore with a cover boasting "The Classic, back in print" and
the
> cover was the kind of picture that should have been on Starship
Troopers
> or The Forever War or StarGrunt II.

_Armor_ has not appeared in all bookstore this time around.  I saw it in

Boston back in April, but I don't think I have seen it down here yet.

The first edition showed a guy in power armor about to club a giant
ant-thing
over the head with his rifle.  [This is vaguely reminiscent of a scene
in the
book where they run out of ammo and have to go hand-to-hand.]  IIRC, the

caption read "What price impregnable armor vs. implacable foe?"

A very fine read.

Note that the other Steakley book that was mentioned, _Vampire$_, also
stars
the same two characters from _Armor_,  Felix and Jack Crow.  The
publishing
info page has a cryptic reference to the duplication of characters.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    _Exordium_: the fan web page
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)
<http://www.wizard.net/~caw/exordium.htm>

Prev: Re: DSII: Firer Down Question Next: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs