Prev: Origins '97 Next: Re: Honor Harrington Question?

Re: Scratch built..

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:24:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Scratch built..

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, John M. Huber wrote:

> I've looked at sculpy and what can be done with it.  However, we have
only a
> microwave and a toaster-oven.  Can sculpy be used in a microwave?
Have you
> had any success with a smaller oven like a "toaster-oven"?  We tried
to make
> something for a diorama for my daughter and it browned/burned[?].
>
> Any Suggestions?  Polymer clays look like you could create some great
> non-traditional shapes and designs.
>
> John M Huber

The reason that the sculpey burned was that your toaster oven is too
hot.
The normal baking temp. for sculpey is something like 275 and the
toaster
oven is 350 or something like that.  You could probably bake the sculpey
in the taoster oven by turning it on for a minute, letting it cool for a
minute, turning it on for a minute etc.  but this seems labor intensive.
Sculpey will not work in the microwave since the microwave is tuned to
the
frequency of water and it is difficult to heat water to 275.  You might
be
able to use the toaster oven if you could shield the sculpture and
reduce
the temperature it was exposed to.

--Binhan

Prev: Origins '97 Next: Re: Honor Harrington Question?