Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5) Next: Origins '97

Re: Starship Trooper-- off topic

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:08:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Starship Trooper-- off topic

Tom Granvold wrote:
>    I saw a preview of Starship Troopers a couple of days ago at the
>local movie theater.  I didn't pay much attention since we had just
>walked in and were looking for seats.	Here are a couple of random
>observations.
>
>   I liked the scenes in space.  The spaceships reminded me of Babylon
5.

I watched a preview as well and the large ships looked a bit boxy.

>   I briefly saw what I took to be a landing craft.  The front was a
big
>box shape that opened.  It was painted to look like a mouth.  The
effect
>was of a large fake animal mouth made of a box.  I'm not sure what this
>really was though.

The landing craft looked cool on the ground, but looked a little cheap
when
in flight.

>    The battle on the ground consist of hundards of human troopers
running
>in mass to attack the bugs.  My though was, don't the bugs have an area
>effect weapon?  I guess not, because if they did the humans would have
been
>wiped out.

Yeah, that did look goofy.  The one scene of a large mass of bugs
reminded
me of an old sci-fi novel where the bug-like enemy came in
waves(quantity vs
quality) to overcome the humans.  The main difference with the book was
the
enemy was constantly being manufactured at several hidden factories so
as
each wave got destroyed, a new wave came out later to take on the
reduced
human strength.

>    The bugs looked good.

Looked kinda like big praying mantis and dragon flies.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters (B5) Next: Origins '97