Prev: Re: Starship Trooper Preview 2 Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: Just a hunch...

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:27:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Just a hunch...

At 02:20 PM 7/13/97 -0700, you wrote:

>	Can AI ever really replace humans in these situations?

I think given enough time, yes. I personally believe that within 50
years,
an automated aircraft will win a Top Gun style tournament (it might even
do
it faster than that). G-force loading and speed of target acquisition
will
make up for anything intuition provides a fighter pilot. Given 250 to
1000
years, I think AIs will be capable of replacing humans in directing
battle
and war strategy.

I don't think grunts will be replaced until a workable AI can fit into a
robotic frame (not necessarily human shaped) that can conduct effective
ground combat. Even then, any side forced into a sufficiently tight
corner
will through the robots AND humans into battle. After all, every side
except
the US put women into combat roles in WWII, and many nations utilized
children and the elderly.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Starship Trooper Preview 2 Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)