Prev: Re: Scratch built ships Next: Re: AI's in full thrust

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 01:03:49 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Peggy & Jeff Shoffner wrote:

> >....Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle were bad for this in the 70s....
>
> Are you refering to the book about the torus of gas surrounding a
star, and
> the humans are living inside the torus, while a AI ship tries to
figure out a
> way to "deal" with them?   (What was that called????	The [blank]
Tree?)

  "The Integral Trees" by Larry Niven

> > resulting in humans being the weakest point of an aircraft.
Certainly
> > today's aircraft can survive G loads well beyond the limits of their
human
> > operator. good point, but I want to play Devil's advocate with your
suggestions.  Not
> that I'm shooting them down, but the best ideas are the ones that can
survive
> scrutiny.....
>

> > 2) Most cruisers and larger ships in the various navies are human
manned but
> > heavily automated. All sensor sweeps, targeting, and firing are done
by
> > computers set on automatic (similar to--but far more advanced--than
the
> > Phalanx system onboard modern US warships). Most damage control
systems are
> > automated, but humans are still needed to do maintenance and repairs
in
> > areas not easily accessed by robots. Most outside repairs are done
by robots.

> Not sure about all of the automation; one series I've finished reading
made a
> very good point about allowing a computer to do targeting and ECM; a
human
> tactician on the opposing side could recognize the AI's "random"
jumping for
> ECM (and possibly targeting lasers, radar, whatever) and adjust his
> computer's targeting and ECM to counteract the AI's targeting AND lock
onto
> its ECM to make it a BIG target.  Simply put, humans are better
randomizers.
> As for repair work, I guess remote driven robots might work.	I'll
deal with
> that later though....

In the books Antares Dawn/Antares Passage by Michael McCollum:

They use newtonian movement for the movement of the ships, and basic
combat maneuver is where the two forces run past each other.  Usually
the ships are moving so fast, that there is no way any human gunner
could hit anything.  They just program their combat computers to open up
at the instant the target is in position.

Donald HOsford

Prev: Re: Scratch built ships Next: Re: AI's in full thrust