Prev: Mecha fighters Next: Re: AI's in full thrust

Re: AI's in full thrust

From: kx.henderson@q... (Kelvin)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:34:58 -0400
Subject: Re: AI's in full thrust

>> You want experienced commanders in the CICs on
>> those naval vessels handling the delacate situations, not computers.
>
>I agree.  The onboard AI doesn't have to be completely sentinent, just
>intelligent enough to assist a human commander (possibly bio-engineered
>to withstand greater g-forces or to have direct interface via his brain
>to the computer to cut down reponse time), who can control the ship,
>albeit in a extremely reduced manner, in case the computer goes
>HAL9000.  Interactions with the commander might be as such, occuring
>directly from neural interface, taking only a few seconds:

While all of this is nice speculation, I am of the opinion that future
super-computers won't be pure technology, but a blend of technology and
genetically engineered organic components.

As was said in an earlier post, neurones can process an insane volume of
signals.  With this sort of processing power ready-made, why bother to
construct a mechanical equivalent?  Its too costly while nowadays, it is
possible to genetically engineer and culture cells for a fraction of the
cost of building a complex computer chip.  Plus the cells are
self-replicating with built-in repair mechanisms.

I forsee in the future computers that use such tailored organic material
form part of the processor.  At least at the level of Star-Trek: Voyager
with its "Bio-memetic gel packs" that form part of the computer
processors.
Possibly something even more integrated.  The scary thing is that such
work
is happening NOW.

-Kelvin.....

      "Anything that, in happening, causes
     itself to happen again, happens again."
	 email:  kx.henderson@qut.edu.au

Prev: Mecha fighters Next: Re: AI's in full thrust