Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: John Skelly <jskelly@i...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:59:48 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

> The AI will almost always win the first encounter/engagement against
> human
> opponents.  The problem comes when there are engagements after the
> first.
> The AI has no imagination and therefore has a hard time predicting
> what a
> human will learn from the first encounter.  The win/loss ratio gets
> worse
> and worse as the number of encounters grows.	You could reprogram the
> AI
> after every encounter but this is not very practical. (military
> programmers
> take 6 months to change colors on a display[exagerated a little yes
> but I
> work with some]).
>
> Computers react quicker but they have no intuitive learning ability
> which
> will spell their doom every time.
>
> And have said all that, I think that AI in fighters is a very good
> idea.
> Download the program of attack at the time of launch and let them go.
> Why
> would you risk a human on what is really a multi-attack drone?  In
> figter
> combat reaction time and ability to hold your Gs is a little more
> important
> than your learning curve anyway.
>					  My 2cents(decrease for
> inflation.)
>					  That Chuk Guy

   I think comparing todays gaming AI to what can exist even 20 years
from now is not seeing the full potential.  The AI you see in games are
basically a set of Algorithms designed to simulate logical thought.
True AI, at something approaching human level, won't exist until
artificial neural networks get more advanced.

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)