Prev: Just a hunch... Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Sutherland <charles@n...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:22:22 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

>One other thing, you could probably program the fighters to update
their
>combat algorithms from transmissions coming from the carrier. Not only
would
>the carrier supply sensor information, it would also supply updated
combat
>parameters and tactical analysis.

Too susceptible to jamming I would imagine.

The problem with these "thinking" computers is that we need to have a
major
leap in technology to achieve this.  We dont even understand how our own
brains work.  How are we supposed to build one?  And if we do who is to
say
we can control it?  I dont remember where I saw it but there was this
really big bomb that had an AI to pilot, then detonate it in the sun.
This
AI thought about this a little to long and refused to do it's job.  What
if
the AI didnt like somebady and decided to get some payback?

All of this is pretty acedemic though.	We will just have to wait and
see
if ever how these things are going to turn out.

						2 more cents.(is there
tax on this?)
						That Chuk Guy

Prev: Just a hunch... Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)