Prev: Re: Scratch built.. Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: Just a hunch...

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 15:04:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Just a hunch...

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Rodrick Campbell wrote:

> is true that computers anr faster at sequential logic processing, I
> haven't found one yet that can play a hunch or gets a gut feeling
about
> things. It will be a long time before any AI can make intuitive leaps
of
> logic.

Actually, this isn't true ... back in the hayday of linear logical
rulesets, one of the biggies was called GPS, a rule system that would
make
logical proofs about geometric ideas when given sets of axioms and rules
for interaction.  GPS occasionally came up with unexpected paths of
logic
that differed from how it had traditionally been proven that certain
geometric properties worked.

Does this not qualify for what you're asking for above?  Given that a
machine won't /say/ 'Eureka!' if they come up with something new,
they'll
simply accept it as it comes.  Asking for the 'Eureka!' isn't asking for
Intelligence, but human bias.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: Re: Scratch built.. Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)