Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Sutherland <charles@n...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:09:17 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

>I've read some of the Bolo short stories, but not any of the novels. I
think
>Iain Banks is the way to go, though. Huge, kilometres long starships
>controlled by an AI Mind while humans live a life of splendor in their
own
>utopias. That's the way to fight a war!

The AI will almost always win the first encounter/engagement against
human
opponents.  The problem comes when there are engagements after the
first.
The AI has no imagination and therefore has a hard time predicting what
human will learn from the first encounter.  The win/loss ratio gets
worse
and worse as the number of encounters grows.  You could reprogram the AI
after every encounter but this is not very practical. (military
programmers
take 6 months to change colors on a display[exagerated a little yes but
work with some]).

Computers react quicker but they have no intuitive learning ability
which
will spell their doom every time.

And have said all that, I think that AI in fighters is a very good idea.
Download the program of attack at the time of launch and let them go.
Why
would you risk a human on what is really a multi-attack drone?	In
figter
combat reaction time and ability to hold your Gs is a little more
important
than your learning curve anyway.
					My 2cents(decrease for
inflation.)
					That Chuk Guy

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)