Prev: Re: SGII Scenarios? Next: Re: Re[2]: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven

Re: SGII Scenarios?

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@z...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:48:12 -0400
Subject: Re: SGII Scenarios?

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, She stands on things I can't understand wrote:

> If you want to view what the HTML file is, you need a browser. Not
everyone
> has browsers (hell, not everyone is on the net, for that matter;
though,
> granted, they are slowly becoming minority). I only have real
web-access
> through work. Not from home (note: web-access and net-access are two
different
> critters; if I am touched with a bit of patience, I can LYNX out onto
the
> web from home - but at 2400bd it's not something i do a lot!).

Lynx is sufficent to render any reasonably produced HTML document
readably; /every/ machine you're likely to hit online, including VMS, as
you mention later, has accessibility to Lynx.  Since we're talking about
scenario distribution, in this instance, HTML is probably overkill, but
it
addresses anything someone that wants to distribute in Word format is
concerned about, in regards to formatting issues.

> And HTML is written in ascii.

I /did/ say its an 'ASCII markup format.'

> Again, *if* you're doing web-stuff. And *if* you've got a browser that
> deals with graphis (eg, LYNX doesn't).

Doesn't matter; Lynx /renders/ the format as best available; headings
and
structure are retained in the purely character-cell format.  HTML is
/visible/ on every platform Lynx runs on, which is pretty much
everywhere.
(I should say 'well-done HTML' to be exact.)

> I note you don't include VMS in there.  ;-) ;-)   (just fyi, certain
releases
> of VMS *just* got GZIP capabilities, but there are still a lot of
versions out
> there w/out - unless we're *way* behind the times here at work!!)

I work for DEC, I know how to suffer VMS.  And those versions of VMS
that
/don't/ have gzip can still examine HTML files and view JPEGs, you just
request uncompressed tars.

> And as far as the post Owen made earlier, I'm stuck in the same boat
with
> Jeremy; I have no way of reading it, either.

Nor do I, being submerged in only VMS, Digital UNIX and ULTRIX systems.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: Re: SGII Scenarios? Next: Re: Re[2]: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven