Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

Re: Scratch built..

From: Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@e...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 02:06:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Scratch built..

>	  Thanks for the tips on the KV. The first doesn't work on a
4'x4'
> table. I'll have to give it a ty on the 12'x6'.....

Try using half inch units; it will make your 4'x4' table comparable to
8'x8'.
 the one big problem in shrinking units down is area effects; the figs
usually cannot physically get close enough to make ADAF effective, and
nova
and wave cannon area blasts are less effective.  I haven't tried this,
but
I'd suggest make area of effects 1.5 to 2.0 times bigger.  (ie: instead
of a
ADAF area reduced down to 3" [six 1/2 inch units], either keep it 6" or
reduce it to 4.5")

> size constraints (1000 pts) made a carrier unrealistic when I wanted a
> decent balance....

My friends and I have decided that a 3:2 ratio of points works good.
(that is
three human point to two KV points)  Yall ought to at least start off
with
3000:2000 points!  Get some big stuff in there!

>	  As far as building fleets goes, I have to do it as cheaply as
> possible. One of the reasons I got my dealer's license several years
ago
> was to get my toys cheap....

Hmmph!	Guess that's one way to do it....  I just can not get myself to
fork
over $6.00 for one die cast ship!  Sad thing is, as a teen, I LOVED
figs!
Only problem is I have about a hundred D&D type figs, and no space opera

stuff;	might work with Star Grunt (if I decide to do the War Hammer
route,
that is....)

One thing I have found which might help those of you doing half scale
fighting or smaller.  I found at a arts and crafts store something
called
flat ear posts.  I think they're for women who make their own earrings.

Anyway, you can get a bag of them cheaply, the flat part is 1/2" to 3/4"
in
diameter, and the "post" part makes a great peg for ships.  Kind of like
half scale stand for your fleet.

Jeff Shoffner

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.