Prev: Re: B5 Fifth Season Next: Re: SG II Questions

RE: Superships and Fighter capacity.

From: "Aden Steinke" <Aden_Steinke@u...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:35:08 -0400
Subject: RE: Superships and Fighter capacity.

"Rutherford, Michael" commented

>Probably to stop people putting together fast, manuvuerable mini
>carriers that have nothing but a fighter group on board.
>
>Though I must admit this seems like a viable tactic for Real Life (tm).
>Use a cruiser sized ship to provide FTL capability to small expendable
>fighers. It is surely easier/quicker to produce a heap of fighters and
>replace the odd mini carrier than it is to build a couple of fleet
>carriers (or *any* capital ships for that matter).

The problem with heaps of fighters is the pilots, they tend to represent
a far
greater investment of time in training to produce than the vehicle, as
such
are not expendable. Also the social conditioning needed to create a
large
group of  pilots willing to be expended would have to exist.

The mini carrier also would not have the same recovery / repair capacity
as
the fleet carrier.

Aden

Prev: Re: B5 Fifth Season Next: Re: SG II Questions