Prev: RE: Superships and Fighter capacity. Next: Re: B5 Fifth Season

RE: Superships and Fighter capacity.

From: "Matt" <maffu@d...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 20:26:33 -0400
Subject: RE: Superships and Fighter capacity.

> The problem with heaps of fighters is the pilots, they tend to
> represent a far greater investment of time in training to produce
> than the vehicle, as such are not expendable. Also the social
> conditioning needed to create a large group of  pilots willing to be
> expended would have to exist.

	Somewhat true, but remember that a fighter group doesn't always
mean
6 individual ships with 6-12 crewmen total.  It would well be just
one.  In my own fleets I represent a fighter group as a single
"mecha."  I've used GW's Epic Space Marine troops for the job.	Just
one on a stand.  Which would indicate only 1 pilot (assuming it's
manned at all).  And that greatly would reduce the cost of such a
force of arms.

> The mini carrier also would not have the same recovery / repair
> capacity as the fleet carrier.
>
> Aden

	Quite true, in addition, the "Fighter bay with Engines" would
not be
able to stand up to much enemy fire, requiring it to keep clear of
the real fighting or hoping other ships nearby take the heat.  But in
raiding operations they can be much better, a small ship would
logically be much harder to detect than a massive carrier.

		     For every man, there is but one
		     true love in his life.  His
		     only task, is to recognize it,
		     and cherish it for all time.

			     Matt Rawlings

Prev: RE: Superships and Fighter capacity. Next: Re: B5 Fifth Season