Prev: Re: Just wondering..... Next: Re: Just wondering.....

Re: Just wondering.....

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 07:35:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Just wondering.....

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Tom McCarthy wrote:

> Just thought I'd mention Silent Death's Operation Drydock.  Silent
Death has
> a point system and so, in theory, all the ships are balanced for their
point
> cost,

HAH!

SD's point system is a prime example of bad balance, IMO. Apart from
their
rather strange view of how much a weapon is worth (why take anything
else
than Ion Rams and 4-6 Pulse Lasers?), it is also quite impossible to get
anywhere close to the official designs in cost (the average rebate for
official designs as compared to roughly equivalent home-built ones is
about 20% of the build points. Only two or three ships are completely
impossible to design yourself, though (Nighthawk, Tealhawk, Crescent...
probably one or two others).

Jon, whatever you do with the FT points system, make sure your own
designs (at least the new ones) are legal under it...

Having said that, ICE are reasonably good at avoiding an arms race in
Silent Death (so far, at least). While there are lots of new weapons in
the modules I've seen (5 so far), they're not extrememly powerful - just
bit different; or if they are powerful, they are very large and
expensive.
Usually enough so that it is easier to stick to the old Ion Ram :&

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Just wondering..... Next: Re: Just wondering.....