Prev: Re: GC, was Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs Next: Re: Optimization ( was Re: Further re Oceanic Grav-bikes )

Re: Optimization ( was Re: Further re Oceanic Grav-bikes )

From: Ryan Montieth Gill <labrg@e...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 17:30:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Optimization ( was Re: Further re Oceanic Grav-bikes )

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Mike Miserendino wrote:

> John Medway wrote:
> >A quick survey: How many folks routinely, deliberately leave wasted
space in
> >commonly used vehicles/ships in DS/FT, other than in obvious
cargo-hauling
> >crap?
>
> In FT, I usually use all available space for systems unless the ship
needs
> to haul cargo.  Sometimes I will build a ship by selecting systems I
want to
> use first, then determine the minimum hull size to carry them.  This
makes
> it easier to model a particular ship or genre.  Allowing excess space
> account for certain ship designs is not a bad idea though.

Most moder naval vessels will have a reserve amount of
Space/Displacement
to allow for upgrades/Mid life improvements and the like. In One case
the
lack of such is a problem. The USN Oliver Hazard Perry class of FFGs
have
around 50 tons of reserve space.

- Ryan Montieth Gill  /|\   Scotland Forever  DoD# 0780/AMA/SOHC -
- _ryan.gill@turner.com or labrg@emory.edu_   '85 CB700S 'Mehev' -
- I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.   '72 CB750K 'The Barge' -
- www.mojoski.com/~rgill	     '76 MonteCarlo 'Bumblecrow' -
---		Senator Koella Should go to JAIL !!	       ---
--- Kill someone and leave the accident you should go to jail! ---