Prev: B5 Fifth Season Next: Re: GC, was Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:24:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Eric Fialkowski wrote:

> Smaller nations would probably lack the bigger ships.  Maybe even have
> fleet of frigates and destroyers with a token cruiser as their "big
guns".
> Looking at a Jane's would give an idea of what current smaller navies
use
> and could give an idea.

Agreed, though I'd rather look at WWI-WWII era Jane's. Smaller nations
(in
naval sense) like Greece or China used to have even obsolete
battleships.
Even we had coastal monitors with 10" guns. Current naval situation is
utterly boring, with only 2 "contenders" and practically no capital
ships
left.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: B5 Fifth Season Next: Re: GC, was Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs