Prev: Re: Those Spiky Things Next: Re: GZG UPDATE & NEWSLETTER

Re: Those Spiky Things

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 16:28:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Those Spiky Things

>Well, I've almost finished painting my new Sa'vasku fleet which
>found it's way to me last weekend (thanks Jon!), and I'm just
>getting to the bit where I stick ship names on the bases, and
>I'm stuck on a couple of big life shattering questions.
>
>First off, which side of the base do I put the names? Do
>Sa'vasku fly pointy bits foreward, or pointy bits aft? Some
>look better forward, others don't. Is there an official take
>on this, or is it just whatever the Sa'vasku feels like (I'm
>starting to lean towards the latter)?

"Officially", pointy spines aft, but in practice whatever you think
looks
best, though I would put some kind of "forward" mark on the base to
avoid
arguments with the opposition! {"Your Bl**dy ship's flying backwards!"
"No
it's not" etc.]

>The second question is down to names. Has anyone started
>naming a Sa'vasku fleet yet? I'm highly tempted to go for
>alien-looking squiggles, though this could hamper identification
>somewhat (circle-dot-twiddle-deformed-rabbit is firing on
>the Victoria Louise).
>
>Alternatively I could nip across to a certain-other-universe,
>borrow their universal translator, and stick on some English
>translations. For this I'm leaning towards using Culture-style
>names (as in Iain M Banks). Things like "Peace is Not An Option"
>or "Forever Seeking Solitude".
>
>Anyone got any thoughts on the matter?

Hmmm... well, the Sa'vasku ships are supposed to be alive, and probably
semi-sentient in their own right (the "crew" are themselves
bio-constructs,
probably symbiotic with the ship, so whether the "crew" or ship are
actually in charge is a moot point). So, I guess the name of a ship may
REALLY be its name - if you are translating into english, they could be
Fred or Eric......
(If you are not translating, then maybe it would be
Thhhruppslart**vrtt$fleepboing...)

Jon (GZG) - not in a terribly serious frame of mind tonight... :)