Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] UPDATE & FALLOUT Next: RE: 25mm?

Re: 25mm?

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:07:29 -0400
Subject: Re: 25mm?

>Can anyone tell me if GZG 25mm Stargrunt infantry measure 25mm from the
top
>on the head to the bottom of the feet.
>
>I have bought some Kryomek marines that said they were 25mm, only to
find
>that they are 30mm.
>
>I am only asking, because my local stores don't carry Stargrunt
infantry,
>and it looks like I am going have to mail order.  I would just like to
know
>what I am buying.
>
>Bobby Mock
><ninjacowboy@worldnet.att.net>

Bobby -
All the SG figure are TRUE 25mm, which means that an average human male
(taken as about 5'8") is actually 25mm from soles of feet to eye level.
I've just checked a couple of our SG figures, and they conform to this
pretty much on the button, as do the new OU figs from Nic in Australia.
Of
course, individual figures will vary slightly according to many things
including ethnic origin - we're not all the same height after all! (The
ESU
range, reflecting its diverse russo-chinese ethnic mix, has "big Olga
from
the Tractor Factory" (the female SAW gunner, SGE-10A & 10D), who
positively
towers over the cute lil' Chinese sniper girl (SGE-11D)).

Those companies who have followed the GW "big figure" trend (eg:
Heartbreaker, Harlequin, Alternative Armies (whose Flintloque figs are
HUGE...), Kryomek etc.) are mainly still calling them "25mm", though
they
really should be using "28mm" (at least), as GW is calling theirs these
days. It is not just the height of the figures, it is also the "bulk" -
most of the larger style (GW) ones are very caricatured in their
proportions, while the "true 25" stuff like ours is much closer to
actual
human appearance than the "Arnie on Steroids" look.

Other ranges that are a good size-match for the SG figs are Denizen
(from
Stone Mountain in the US I think), any of the Ral partha ranges, RAFM
etc
(not the Heavy Gear HO stuff of course) and many small manufacturers on
both sides of the pond. The old Grenadier Future warriors (which
although
out of production can still be found on some store shelves) are about
halfway between the two styles (true 25 and 28/30) and can just about
mix
with either.

At the other end of the scale there are a few old lines still in
production
like the McEwan STARGURAD figs (still available from Federation Armoury
in
the US), which are a very nominal 25mm, very "thin" and make our SG
range
look tall and chunky!!

With careful and judicious basing of the smaller figures, you can
actually
get away with mixing most ranges if you're not over-fussy - see the
comments in the SGII rulebook for more thoughts on this.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] UPDATE & FALLOUT Next: RE: 25mm?