Prev: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt) Next: Re: Re : Chits

Re: Re : Chits

From: Sprayform <sprayform.dev@n...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:54:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Re : Chits

At 19:59 20/06/97 -0700, you wrote:

>>Soldiers  are _trained_ NOT to think and only obey orders .
>
>Disagree.

O.k. so they think its a daft idea to assault the hill with the art.
spotter
on cos he's got support and they know many of them will die. They think
its
a much better idea to wait for air support before they move.
 You tell me which they are _trained_ to do!!

>> Initiative is a
>> dangerous beast in the hand of the common grunt (No offence .mil
boys!)

>Agree, especially to the enemy. Alas, it's rare, you have to teach
>people to think for themselves. Which we do.
>
>Oh, By the way, I can also be reached at abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au . That's
>the Australian Defence Force Academy, where I teach part-time.

Please remember the context of chits. (I _disliked_the idea of their use
as
a reminder to the player (aka general!!) as to which units have moved
and
that they were justified as 'soldiers taking the initiative'.

IMHO I think the wording "Initiative" is the problem. Its inteligence
(as in
whats beyond the hill not sqr root of 45678!) that soldiers would react
to,
over and above their orders; rather than I,ve got a better plan than my
superiors.
The player has total inteligence of the battlefield something generals
don,t
(and are always striving for. {gulf war spy sats best current example of
near total overview}) so that should be off-set by  'forgot to move =
tough
luck ' Not "but my squaddies would see that the arty is just setting up
beyond the wood and attack rather than stay put cos I fogot to move them
!!"

Jon (top cat)
who appears to have opened the can of .mil worms (or should that be iron
rations !!
Sprayforming Developments Ltd.	      [production tools]
					   made in
				      [prototype  times]
  'The future is now'

Prev: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt) Next: Re: Re : Chits