Prev: Re: B5Wars review.. Next: Re: DSII/Scout Walkers

Re: FT & DSII - Tournament ideas

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:29:33 -0400
Subject: Re: FT & DSII - Tournament ideas

Brendan R. wrote:
>	I'm currently working on arrangements for running both
Full-thrust &
>DSII as part of a convention next year. (ConQuest '98) (organizing
>early).
>	Could I please have comments on any problems or suggestions on
running
>these in a competitive environment.
>
>	At this stage, I'll be using the following formats (2.5hr
sessions):

>	Full-Thrust.
>1800 pt fleets, maximum 50% points/ships from one class.

Brendan,

I think 1800 points might be a bit high for 2.5 hour game.  We use 1500
point fleets for 4 hour sessions and many ships are still on the table
at
the end of the game.  I might recommend using 750-1000 points for a 2.5
hour
session.

>Players can bring 1 custom design, standard hull only.  All others as
>per FT/MT.

I like giving the players the option to do this, but make sure you give
yourself enough time to check all ship forms for validity.  We tried
running
a game like this last at PentaCon, but no one showed up.  This might be
due
to the fact that we requested players to bring their own ship models
(macro
size) as well.	We'll try it again next year and bring some extra ships
just
in case players have none available.

>No Nova Cannon/Wave Guns, Reflex Fields.  Most optional rules
available.
>The format for this will probably be a strait Slugfest with probably
>everybody fighting at least once in an asteroid belt.

Make sure you spell out exactly what systems are not available in the
program guide to prevent player design errors.

>3000 pt Battlegroup, no Aerospace Fighters?  Designs randomly checked.
>Standard Scenarios used with 1 Cityscape/Attack scenario.

Designs randomly checked could work or just check while they are playing
save startup time.  The question is what to do when you find someone
using
an invalid ship form.  Perhaps bring extra pre-designed ones to use in
case
this happens.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: B5Wars review.. Next: Re: DSII/Scout Walkers