Prev: Off-Topic : Stellar Conquest PBEM Next: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)

Re: Conversions (Stargrunt)

From: Ryan Montieth Gill <labrg@e...>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:58:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Conversions (Stargrunt)

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Alexander Williams wrote:

> Alien's Dropship
>
> Equipment Item			     VSP : BVP	   Spaces   Cost
> Vehicle, class 4			      20 :  0	       20     20
> Armor class 2, Reactive		      20 : 30	       20     30
> Fusion Generation Plant		      20 : 30	       20     48
> Aerospace vehicle			      20 : 30	       20    348
> 2 class 2 SLAM's in Fixed mount	      20 : 30	       12    396
>    with Enhanced fire control 	      20 : 30	       12    404
> 1 GMS/L with Basic guidance		      20 : 30	       10    424
> 1 class 1 RFAC in Fixed mount 	      20 : 30		8    429
> Superior ECM				      20 : 30		8    474
> Level 1 stealth			      20 : 30		8    554
>
> The big things to note are the Superior ECM and Reactive armour,
making
> it great at avoiding missile damage, and the 1 Stealth, because it
looks
> nicely sloped.  Depending on how you decide if something's large
enough
> to carry another vehicle, the 8 space might be enough left.

I thought Slams were in size 3-5 only. [flip flip flip] Yep, page 9 of
the
weapon descriptions, "SLAM packages are available in size classes 3 to
5,..."

Going on the premis of the Drop Ship was designed to insert the troop
carrier, I thought I'd design that first.

Colonial Space Marine Wheeled APC

Size 2 High Mobility Wheeled
HMT Power Plant
Armour 2 Reactive
One Line Squad
Basic ECM
Enhanced Fire Con
1 APSW
1 DFFG class 2 Trt

Cost 80 Points

Colonial Marines Drop Ship

Size 5 Aero Space
FGP Powered
3 Armour
1 Size 2 Vehicle
1 Level of Stealth
Sup ECM
Enh Fire Con
SLAM 3
GMS/L Sup
APSW x2

Cost 701 points

Now the Drop Ship from Aliens looked to have some pretty heavy weaponry,
but we can't add any more weapons with out making it an oversize 6.
Remember that carrying a vehicle is the size class x 8. So getting a
size
3 vehicle would take 24 VSP. The largest thing we can possible carry is
size 4 and thats with a size 7 Aerospace. Basically a flying Box
Car with 3 vsp for defensive systems. Larger vehicles require special
landers that don't go near combat zones.

I've been toying with the Idea of a group of VTOLS that can carry up to
size 3 or 4 vehicles. This would really amount to sling loads, much like
the MI-6. By moderating the size of the cargo I could concievably use it
for long range fire support. I just tend to think one would be hobbling
oneself by using aerospace craft as transport.

The modeling side of this could be rather nice though...Find a good
sized
VTOL craft and make it look more futuristic, then angle the base pin so
it
wasn't directly under the VTOL. Build a little platform off of the pin
that would support your "sling loads" and presto. You can show and
air-mobile unit in transist. On a big table this would make a great way
get behind ones opponent. What to use for the Aerospace craft
though....?
Small scale C-141's??

Getting near a ADA unit would get really expensive though. SEAD
Aerospace
craft would be very necessary. Hmm, Maybe I need to build rules for Beam
rider missiles (ie Anti Radiation). Make him turn off his ADA sensors.

Of course if one wanted to interface land your armour, just use the
interface landing rules. Its cheaper...that way.

- Ryan Montieth Gill  /|\   Scotland Forever  DoD# 0780/AMA/SOHC -
- _ryan.gill@turner.com or labrg@emory.edu_   '85 CB700S 'Mehev' -
- I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.   '72 CB750K 'The Barge' -
- www.mojoski.com/~rgill	     '76 MonteCarlo 'Bumblecrow' -
---		Senator Koella Should go to JAIL !!	       ---
--- Kill someone and leave the accident you should go to jail! ---

Prev: Off-Topic : Stellar Conquest PBEM Next: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)