Prev: Re: Let me know if there is still an attachment? Next: Re: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)

Re: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:22:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)

>Hi everybody!
>
>I'm preparing for a game, and kinda wonder about the list's opinion
>on the scenario.  I also wonder about the lack of rules covering
>infantry assaults on vehicles.  So my first question is:
>
>1) Has anybody on the list prepared rules to simulate close
>assaulting a vehicle?

There are rules for infantry attacking point targets with both small
arms
(but don't expect to scratch a MBT with your bayonette !) and point fire
weapons.  Otherwise why would anyone want to close assault a vehicle ?

>2) How does this sound:  Two squads of average infantry (Regular with
>leaders rated at 2) supporting four Robotech/Exo-Squad robots (two
>Spartans and two Excalibers, if you need to know...) on a hilltop,
>versus a full company of infantry (regular and veterans with a few
>leaders rated at one).  I've been thinking the two squads would have
>dug in.
>
>I'm not sure how balanced that is.  I was thinking of giving the
>company two Aliens Dropships (front cannon, eight guided missiles and
>18 rockets) and adding a pair of Raidars X for Air Defense.  I also
>thought about mines for the defenders, or a single sniper (or both).
>The company would have mortars attached, perhaps a Powered Armored
>Infantry squad too, but I kinda thought the defenders could do without
>any art (unless it's orbital, which makes up for its power by its
>delay...).
>
>Well, what do you guys think?

Sounds interesting.  The question I have is, are you playing on a HUGE
table or are you playing on a big floor ?  This much kit would quickly
swamp a 6x4 table making a duckshoot of the game.

>Alfredo
>
>P.S.  Any ideas as to what I could use for Power Armor?  I'm using,
>for the time being, green army men.  Anything similarly inexpensive?

The cheapest metal PA I've seen so far is the GZG range.  They do Figs
for
95p each (check th Geo Hex Web page for the US prices) of fairly good
quality ,the chunkiest are the NSL suits and the most hummanoid are the
NAC
suits.	The toy stuff I've seen is universaslly crap.  I've heard that
the
micro machine range has a number of 25 mm figs (prepainted) but I've no
idea what the quality or cost is.

Have a look for out of print lines, there was a PA game a while ago
(Dragonstar Rising, I think) which had lots of figs, these can be picked
up
for reasonable prices these days.  An alternative is to go to Games
workshop and see if they have any of thier old plastic terminator figs,
these suck (a great American expression !) but they may sell you them
cheap.	I believe also that Peter Pig still produces (metal) PA figs
very
cheaply, but the last ones I saw were of very suspect quality and poorly
cast.

>Anybody has converted this toys to Stargrunt terms?  Otherwise I'll
>post the numbers I come up with to the list later on...

The only toys I've used are the Galoob Action Fleet stuff and a Rifleman
from the battle tech range (it makes a great fire support walker).

Good luck hunting cheap PA figs !

Stuart.

Stuart Murray
Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461
Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: Re: Let me know if there is still an attachment? Next: Re: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt)