Prev: Dexcon 6 - NJ,USA Next: Re: FT Armor

Re: "Me too" firing.

From: "John M. Huber" <jhuber@o...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:06:32 -0400
Subject: Re: "Me too" firing.

<snip>

 >but for the purposes of balance and a 'fair go' for the
 >smaller ships I'd ignore it.

I'll buy "balance" and I believe in being polite and honest in play --
but 'fair-go' ... "Happiness is having two fully-charged PPC's and
standing
hip-deep in water."  [an old BattleTech maxim]

<snip-snip>

 >best sensors, <snippity-snip> numbers of firecon and sensors

hmmm .... the idea of best sensors dredges-up the spectre of Technology
Levels.  I remember [checking A-Z Guide to Babylon 5] the second season
episode "Points of Departure" where B5 takes on a renegade Minbari
cruiser.
Sheridan tells how Earth forces could never "track" [get a weapons
lock?] on
Minbari fighters during the war and to this day no one knew how they did
it.
Well, when a swarm of Minbari fighters comes streaking towards B5 and
its
defending Starfuries ... and they ARE able to "track" the ships,
Sheridan
figures that the Minbari WANT to be fired on and that this is actually a
suicide run.

	I think it would be safe to assume [dangerous word, I know]
that as technology changes and is incorporated into new constructions
older combat vessels will not be automatically/completely refitted.  We
could
start talking about assigning "TechLevel" values to different systems.
Then,
in terms of tracking, first fire, beam-to-shield effectiveness, and the
like,
you could also adjust to-hit rolls, damage, etc. by differences in
TechLevels
between combatants.
	This would also allow us to incorporate new races with new and

different weapons, etc. and keep them at par with the rest by making
them
TechLevel higher in some areas and less in others.  One race might have
better
armor than others ... but their beams weapons are lousy against shields.

.... ummm, somewhere in the FT-mailing list FAQ I remember seeing
something
about an archive.  I think I'd better check the archive before going any
further.

Keep 'em flying!

John M. Huber

Prev: Dexcon 6 - NJ,USA Next: Re: FT Armor