Prev: Re: FT Armor Next: Re: "Me too" firing.

Re: "Me too" firing.

From: k.g.mclean@c... (Kevin Mc Lean.)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 19:19:56 -0400
Subject: Re: "Me too" firing.

> >Why should my flying A-battery with wings fire before, my nice stable
> >heavy gun cruiser ?
> >
> >-Entropy
>
>I'd also like to think that while speed has its advantages, the
>Firecon/computers, dedicated to the weapons systems on the larger ships
are
>better/more efficient than the ones on the A-Bat.  Or, more crew ...
etc.

>In general I think this should be an even trade-off so neither one
>automatically goes first.
>
>John M Huber

I would tend to make it go first, mainly because that way smaller ships
do
have some advantages ie. they usually get a shot off before being
atomised.
That's why I'd shoot for smallest mass fires first. Additionally this
skews
the alternating system towards simultaneous fire, where at least the
small
ships get a shot in, with the advantage of being 'alternate'. The list I
mentioned is just for 'ties' of even mass and you can tinker with it to
your heart's content, but again in a tie I think weapon range is
decisive.

John's got a definite point about larger ships probably having more
efficient firecon (hmm, numbers of firecon and sensors could be another
tiebreaker), but for the purposes of balance and a 'fair go' for the
smaller ships I'd ignore it.

If you wanted to rearrange the system and keep it alternate you could go
best sensors, smallest mass as the criteria for ordering; but if you put
that much detail into the order for firing I think it'd get messy...
better
lowest mass first with the tiebreakers added in. Of course you could
always
start highest mass, best sensors, most firecon first; but that's real
hell
on the small ships.

Thanks for the feedback though. Having a few games in a week or two I
might
give some of these systems mentioned in this and previous posts a try.

Regards,

Kevin.

Kevin Mc Lean.
CLC Tutor.
Mackay Campus.
079 407416.

Prev: Re: FT Armor Next: Re: "Me too" firing.