Prev: Re: Location, Location, Antipodean Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: Star Grunts Point System (another point of view - scenario design)

From: tlsmith@m... (Terrance L. Smith)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:34:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunts Point System (another point of view - scenario design)

It is clear from the debate on point systems that there are both
advantages
and disadvantages to such a system. Without voting either way, allow me
make 2 observations.

1. Point systems are commonly used to develop "balanced" scenarios. Why
do
we assume balanced games are best? They are good for intro games and
balanced meeting engagements can be interesting, but most combat is not
between carefully balanced forces. Many scenarios I design are
unbalanced
on purpose. (Assuming they are for experienced players.)

2. Consider the effect of victory conditions on the scenario. Both sides
do
not have to have the same victory conditions, although they often do in
balanced scenarios. Most of the games I run have different victory
conditions for each side. Example: a small recon force is opposed with a
larger force. The orders (defines victory conditions) to the smaller
force
are locate and estimate the size of the enemy, then withdraw. The larger
force has orders to take hill 315. It is entirely possible for both
sides
to "win" such a game. (Of course, what happens to that larger force on
the
hill now that the arty knows where to shoot is an entirely different
question. *grin*) In such a game the bottom line goes back to "Did you
have
a good time?" That after all is the reason I, and I hope the rest of
you,
play.

Terrance L. Smith, Ph.D.
tlsmith@micron.net
Nampa, Idaho

Prev: Re: Location, Location, Antipodean Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.