Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator

Re: FT III: ECM. from originator

From: Sprayform <sprayform.dev@n...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 04:22:39 -0400
Subject: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator

At 12:01 02/06/97 -0500, you wrote:
>First, let me tell you all what a pleasure it is to be part of this
list!!

shows something about the standard of gamers who use these systems

>I have seen too many situations where people jump down each others
throats
>right away or respond with such carelessness that actual discussion and
>creative thought is non-existant.
>
>Looking back at my original ECM comments, these were my thoughts while
looking
>at FT with a certain frame of mind.  No one blasted me, told me how
stoooopid,
>etc. I was being ...  Thank you one and all!!
>
>Okay, at the time I was seeing FT through the eyes of a level of
technology
>akin to something in Star Trek: Next Generation.  You know, where one
quick
>swipe of a medical tricorder and they can figure-out what your
>great-great-great cousin ate for breakfast on her 3497th day of life.
>
>However, it was in the responses to my post that I was brought "back to
>earth".  Three of my favorite videos are Predator, Classic Star Trek
episode
>with the Romulans, and Hunt For Red October.  [do you see a pattern
here?]

>So, in regards to ECM in Full Thrust,	would it be safe to say that we
are
>talking about the ability to detect the presence of another ship, ID
that ship
>as an enemy and to be able to fire weapons that will hit it ...
>
>versus the ability to prevent detection, identification and/or weapons'
lock?

>Questions:
>
>1]	 Will activity [like combat] on the part of a ship increase its
>vulnerability to being targeted?

No, (well yes and no) yes its now flashing and communicating with other
ships firing thrusters etc rather than coasting on 'silent running';but
is now altering course employing decoys ecm filling space with debris
etc.
I would say net difference zero. However if you can supprise a ship on
s.r
then thats different (use the rules in mt senario {the one with the non
combat ready ship.}

>2]	 Can fighters act as "forward observers" and "paint" targets or
at
>least perform recon that will aid the fleet?

This I like, say increased range or roll an extra 1d6 per
weapon/fire-con
**********

>3]	 How about weapons packages that contain transponders,
scramblers, and
>other thingies that will act a "bell around the cat's neck"?

senario dependant

>4]	 [My 11 year old daughter came up with this] How about
"whiskers"?
>	 Unmanned probes that are released once a ship enters normal
>space.  They would range far and wide gathering and transmitting data
that
>warns ships of dangers, hazards, etc.	These could also be used in
military
>roles ranging from recon to decoys.

senario dependant or bonus for defending fleets id of ships.

>Thanks for the space.
>
>John M. Huber

Jon (top cat) is back
Sprayforming Developments Ltd.
      [production tools]
	      @
      [prototype  times]

Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: Re: FT III: ECM. from originator