Prev: Missile Maneuvering Next: Re: Question for the Americans (was Storage & Transportation)

Re: FT Armor

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 10:39:28 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Armor

In message <v03102801afb05c912d62@[157.182.134.208]> you wrote:

> Armor seems kind of silly in a space combat game.  I mean, a freaking
paint
> chip hit the quartz window of the space shuttle and cracked it.

The windscreen of a late 20th century civilian shuttle can't
be compared to high tech armour plating on a 24th century
super dreadnaught.

> At the
> velocities you could project any material in space, what kind of armor
> could protect you from them?

Small point: Shields in FT only stop lasers. If it's assumed that
kinetic energy weapons (which shields have no effect on) are so
deadly, then why is anyone so stupid to bother using lasers? The
very fact that lasers are used in preference to KE weapons suggests
that armour is capable of protecting from KE weapons.

> This, of course, assumes we use the knowledge
> of materials we have today.  I'm just curious what explination is
given for
> the use of armor?

I'm just curious why anyone would bother with shields and lasers.
Given the predominence of shields in the game, it makes more sense
to use KE weapons, and armour protects from both.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Missile Maneuvering Next: Re: Question for the Americans (was Storage & Transportation)